Subject: Re: Icons and Assigns
From: [email-masked] (Lars Lundgren)
Date: 7 Apr 1994 18:36:12 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In article <[email-masked]>,
Bjorn Reese <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I'm looking for, or in case it doesn't exist, urging someone to write,
>two small utilities which I have been missing very much lately.
>
...

>2) Saving to assigns
>
>Many applications insist on storing their pref/config files in S:.
>I don't want them there (in fact I have locked my workbench partition
>- virus paranoia,) so I've made and "assign S: <somewhere> add"
>where they can be. Once the files have been put in the additional S:
>everything works fine until I want to save them again; then they end
>up in my initial S:. What I need is an utility to redirect them to
>the proper place.

Don't do an Assign ADD, do an Assign. Like I do:

Assign S: Data:Sys/S Work:Sys/S SYS:S

Writes will go to Data:Sys/S... This trick actually came from
someone on the net, whose name I've forgotten.

I've tried to keep stuff out of SYS: myself by using assigns,
but partly failed; had to put datatypes and dosdrivers in SYS:
I can't believe there are people who put all their programs in Sys:C ;
C: is for commodore-supplied cli programs.

>
>BTW, this reminds me that I also want the various file-requesters (ASL,
>Reqtools...) to display the contents of all directories linked to an
>assign.

There's a thing called "Path-handler", which came with WShell 2.0.
You can for example do
assign q: PATH:SYS:C,RAM:
dir q:

and a listing will come up of all files in C: _and_ RAM:, unless there
are duplicate names. I don't know how well it works, and I know
it wasn't exactly what you wanted...

Jorgen